By Rick Howie, New York State of Health Navigator
2016 Open Enrollment Schedule:
• November 1, 2015: Open Enrollment starts — first day you can enroll in a 2016 insurance plan through the Health Insurance Marketplace. Coverage can start as soon as January 1, 2016.
• December 15, 2015: Last day to enroll in or change plans for new coverage to start January 1, 2016.
• January 1, 2016: 2016 coverage starts for those who enroll or change plans by December 15.
• January 15, 2016: Last day to enroll in or change plans for new coverage to start February 1, 2016
• January 31, 2016: 2016 Open Enrollment ends. Enrollments or changes between January 16 and January 31 take effect March 1, 2016.
If you don’t enroll in a 2016 health insurance plan by January 31, 2016, you can’t enroll in a health insurance plan for 2016 unless you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period.
New “Essential Plan”
NY State of Health (NYSOH) announced the new Essential Plan to eligible, lower income New Yorkers. The Essential Plan has no annual deductible and offers the same essential benefits as other plans, including free preventive care. Consumers pay just $20 a month per adult or nothing at all depending on their income. Additional information on the Essential Plan can be found here: http://info.nystateofhealth.ny.gov/sites/default/files/Essential%20Plan%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf.
Reminder – federal tax penalties apply to individuals who do not have health coverage. The penalty for those who are uninsured in 2015 and do not have an exemption will be the greater of two percent of income or $325 per adult. That will increase to the greater of two-and-a-half percent of income or $695 per adult in 2016.”
Westchester Disabled on the Move (WDOMI) offers free NYS of Health Navigator assistance by appointment to all New Yorkers to help them get covered and comply with the law. To get an appointment please call us at 914-968-4717.